PURPOSE OF TOOL
This Generic Cost Benefit Analysis Excel Template is a user-friendly Excel model intended for the preparation of a Cost Benefit Analysis Excel to determine the financial viability for a proposed project or investment and assist in the decision-making process.
The model is generic and not industry-specific. It computes a number of key appraisal metrics for the proposed project or investment including:
– Total one-off costs
– Average benefits per annum
– Breakeven Quarter
– Profitability Index
Results also include a summary table showing the overall costs and benefits on a:
– Cash View – presents actual cash impacts of the proposed project/investments
– P&L View – presents P&L impacts of proposed project/investment (eg Depreciation for Fixed asset investments rather than cash impact)
The Results tab also includes charts showing the cumulative net cash flow over time and costs vs net benefits
Inputs are split into one-off costs incurred during the development phase and changes in ongoing costs and revenues expected to result after implementation of the project investment (which make up the net benefits).
One-off costs are further split into:
– Fixed asset investments (up to 3 categories) consisting of investments that are capitalizable rather than expenses when incurred.
– Project Staff costs (up to 5 categories)
– Other Project Expenses (up to 8 categories)
Net Benefits are further split into
– Changes in ongoing revenues resulting from the project/investment (up to 3 categories)
– Changes in ongoing staff costs resulting from the project/investment (up to 5 categories)
– Changes in other ongoing expenses (up to 10 categories)
Other inputs include:
– Cost of Capital (for NPV)
– Inflation rate
– Corporate tax rate (and tax payment assumptions)
The model contains, 6 tabs split into input (‘i_’), calculation (‘c_’), output (‘o_’) and system tabs. The only tabs to be populated by the user are the input tabs (‘i_Setup’ and ‘i_Assumptions’). The calculation tab uses the user-defined inputs to calculate and produce the template outputs presented in ‘o_Results’.
System tabs include the following:
– ‘Front Sheet’ containing a disclaimer, instructions, and contents;
– Checks dashboard containing a summary of checks by tab.
Other key features of this model include the following:
– The model follows best practice financial modeling guidelines and includes instructions, line item explanations, checks, and input validations;
– The model allows the user to model project/investment cost and benefits across a maximum of 8 years split into quarterly periods and summarise on an annual basis (dual timeline);
– Revenue and cost descriptions are fully customizable;
– Business name, currency, and starting projection period are customizable;
– The model includes a checks dashboard which summarises all the checks included in the various tabs making it easier to identify any errors;
– The model includes checks and input validations to help ensure input fields are populated accurately.
We are a small team of financial modeling professionals with experience working in Big 4 Business Modelling teams and strong experience supporting businesses with their financial planning and decision support needs. Our aim is to provide robust and easy-to-use tools that follow best practice financial modeling guidelines and assist individuals and businesses with common financial planning and analysis processes.
We are keen to make sure our customers are fully satisfied with the tools/models they purchase and will be more than happy to assist with any questions or support required following or in advance of purchase.
We are also always keen to receive feedback so please do let us know what you think of our products/offering by sending us a message or submitting a review.
Similar customers where also interested in...
1 of 2 people found this review helpful.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Did you find this review helpful?