BudgetingFinancial business planning, management tools and financial model templates which assist in the preparation of budgets and forecasts
A five-year Veterinary Clinic Business Plan in Excel to develop your business. It works by forecasting profitability, planning treatment visits…
A five-year Physiotherapy Business Plan in Excel to develop your business. It works by forecasting profitability, planning treatment visits and…
Comprehensive financial model to plan out the cash requirements of a Zoo, Aquarium, or Park. Includes construction and on-going operations.
A five-year Dog Grooming Business Plan in Excel to develop your business. It works by forecasting profitability, planning extra products…
A five-year Dropshipping Business Plan in Excel to develop your business. It works by forecasting Total Available Market, Target Market…
A five-year Online Clothing Boutique Business Plan in Excel to develop your business. It works by forecasting Total Available Market,…
A five-year Coffee Shop Business Plan in Excel to develop your business. It works by forecasting workload, average weekly sales…
A five-year Boutique hotel Business Plan in Excel to develop your business. It works by forecasting workload, average weekly sales…
A five-year Juice Bar Business Plan in Excel to develop your business. It works by forecasting workload, average weekly sales…
A five-year Tea Cafe Business Plan in Excel to develop your business. It works by forecasting workload, average weekly sales…
All about Budgeting
Knowing that you have money on hand, spending nonchalantly has become a problem for most people. Exercising financial freedom is certainly not always a bad thing as long as you have the resources for it, but if you only have limited finances, then this action is obviously a huge problem. Spending more than you can shoulder will lead you to be overflowing with debt, and for those running businesses, overspending will lead to insolvency and the stopping of business operations. Nobody wants to go to that conclusion, so exercising restraint and managing how to spend your money are both important.
It is undeniable that budgeting makes a whole lot of difference for handling money. So, what is budgeting really? Why is it important? How to create a budget plan? What kind of mistakes would one make when budgeting? Are there other sources to acquire a budget plan such as budget plan templates so that one doesn’t need to create a budget plan from scratch?
What is Budgeting
Budgeting is what we call the process of creating a plan on how to spend your money wisely. Money management is another way of putting it, to determine whether you have the money to accommodate your expenses now and in the future. By budgeting, you’ll be able to determine which expenses need to be prioritized and focused on spending for. Basically, it is to ensure that you’re spending less than what you are earning and at the same time plan ahead for both the short and long term.
Budgeting, just the thought of it makes one feel deprived since exercising restraint can be really hard. You will need to think about the results instead of the process itself so that you will have a driving force to stick with your plans. Yes, it is entirely optional but one should know that budgeting is a critical component of financial success, especially for businesses. This also doesn’t apply only for those with limited funds since budgeting works best for those with incomes and expenses of all sizes to make better decisions on allocating their money appropriately. Knowing that you set a plan on your finances ahead of time, you won’t have to worry about going in debt and not meeting your financial goals.
What is the Significance of Budgeting
Oftentimes, a budget is paired for those who are short on cash and living in deprivation. But, the truth is, creating a budget isn’t only for times when you don’t have enough money for your expenses or financing for your business, in fact, budgeting is recommended for everyone to do. Having a budget plan will greatly help you have an easier life without having to worry about financing all the time. What makes a budget significant? Below we listed some of the benefits that one can get out of budgeting.
- Financial stress-free
- Control of finances
- One step closer to reach financial goals
- Debt schedule and keeping up with payments
- Prevent financial crisis
- Long-Term and Short-Term Projections
- Get the most out of your money
- Plan for certain major changes
- Financial freedom
Basically, it is undeniable that creating a budget is very important to one’s life or business.
How to Create a Budget Plan
Depending on what kind of budget plan you’re making, it can be either on a short-term or long-term basis with room for updates in certain cases that needs to be changed. Of course, before starting to create a budget plan, there are 3 important factors that you need to realize such as:
- Projected income / expected revenue
- Projected expenses / expected expenses
- Financial Goals
After that comes the plan. A personal budget plan and a business budget plan is similar in a way. The following is a simple 4-step plan for how to create a budget plan.
- Determine all your income sources / Total expected or projected revenues
- Determine all fixed costs / fixed expenses (e.g. debt schedule repayments)
- Determine forecasted expenses / unexpected expenses (don’t be too generous with the forecasted figures and note down all assumptions to check the projected values)
- Take time to readjust the figures (since you will be conducting several estimations for income and expenses under different simulations of different assumptions)
Now the only thing left to do is to stick to the budget plan and you’re good to go.
Common Budgeting Mistakes
It is not uncommon to make mistakes, whether in life or in certain tasks that you’re creating. Learn more about the most common budgeting mistakes that one can make when budgeting.
- Not Tracking Expenses – The best way to update your budget plan is to keep track of all the expenses you made. Without tracking your expenses, you won’t be able to check if your expected figures or projected values are close to the present values. This will determine how accurate you did with your estimations and proper adjustments will be done as you create more historical figures. If you hate tracking your expenses, you can use a budgeting tool to help you keep track and manage all your expenses such as in a tracking model.
- Spending on Impulse – Though you set aside some money for certain circumstances within your plan; spending on impulse will greatly affect your expected expenses. As you didn’t add in expenses that are done on a whim, this action is taken as not sticking to the plan and thus, a big mistake when you’re currently on a budget. So, one must always exercise great restraint and always think of the bigger picture.
- Being too Strict – Yes, it is important to exercise restraint but it’s also important to not feel too constricted with the budget. Depriving oneself too much from spending in certain circumstances might cause a backlash such as wasted opportunities in developing more yield by giving more funding at certain projects or for personal cases, the stress built upon not being able to spend on some things for recreation will cause one to break and stop completely with the budget.
- Opting for Cheap or Lesser Quality – This mistake is quite a big issue and very common among businesses undergoing a budget. This is often more damaging than helpful. Not only will it affect the reputation of the business but also, it will affect the trust built up from repeating customers. One can save better with a higher quality and priced item which will last long, compared to a cheaper quality and lower priced item which often breaks easily and have to buy again. Trust is very hard to build up so you want to preserve that as much as possible by giving your best and showing that your business is reputable.
- Not asking for Help or Assistance – For businesses, it can be costly to hire a financial coach or financial advisor to help you manage your finances, but, it is still undeniable that creating a budget is critical. With many tools that you can acquire to help with tracking and managing your financials, you shouldn’t also neglect that pieces of advice from experts with vast knowledge and experience with their industry know-how are very helpful. Once you’ve gained enough knowledge and training on budgeting, then, of course, you’ll be able to get by without the help and assistance of experts. Also, asking for help or assistance will be helpful too to have a fresh set of observing eyes to spot certain things that you missed.
Using Budget Plan Templates
Are you planning to create a budget plan but don’t know where to start? Are you running a business and want to manage your finances to help you get by and get the opportunity to succeed financially? Are you looking for a convenient tool to serve as a template to build your budget plan out of? If you are, then we recommend for you to check our various budget plan templates listed above.
From Personal Financial Plan Template, Budgeting Worksheets, Budgeting Templates, to Business Budget Template, you can choose whichever fits the criteria you’re looking for. Start budgeting now and take advantage of this very convenient ready-made budget plan for you to use as a base when creating a budget plan for yourself or your business.
If you are looking for a specific financial model template and couldn't find it in our inventory, feel free to comment here: Missing Financial Model Templates, so that our Vendors will pick up that project and will soon add in our still growing inventory.
If you found the template but need help with customization of your preference, we also offer financial modeling services which you can avail here: Custom Financial Modeling Service.
We would be really grateful if you also rate our products and leave a review, comments, suggestions, or any kind of feedback, about our financial model templates, for this will greatly help us shape our templates to be even better in the future.