PURPOSE OF MODEL
Highly versatile and user-friendly Excel model for the preparation of a 5-year rolling 3 statement (Income Statement, Balance Sheet and Cash flow Statement) financial projection with a monthly timeline for a startup or existing entertainment business generating revenue through the sale of tickets, gift shop products, and other income such as special events.
The model allows the user to model the sale of up to 5 different ticket types as well as revenue and cost of sales for gift shop sales, other income, direct and non-direct expenses, inventories, fixed assets, tax, dividends, borrowings, and capital changes.
The key outputs include:
– Projected full financial statements presented on a monthly basis across up to 5 years and summarised on an annual basis.
– Dashboard with:
o Summarised projected Income Statement and Balance Sheet
o Compounded Annual Growth rate (CAGR) for each summarised income statement and Balance Sheet line item
o List of key ratios including average revenue growth, average profit margins, average return on assets and equity, and Average Debt to Equity ratio.
o Bar charts summarising income statement and Balance Sheet projections
o Revenue and Volume by ticket and revenue type in the table and bar-chart format
– Discounted cash flow valuation using the projected cash flow output.
Inputs are split into Income Statement and Balance Sheet Inputs. Most inputs include user-friendly line item explanations and input validations to help users understand what the input is for and populate correctly.
– Name of business;
– First projection year and month;
– Naming for ticket categories, other income, staff costs, direct expenses, marketing costs, other expenses, fixed assets, and borrowings;
– Sales tax applicability for revenue, expense, and fixed asset items.
– Opening balance sheet (for existing businesses);
– Income Statement actuals (for trend analysis);
– Ticket revenue including averages visitors per weekday per month, visitor mix, and ticket prices;
– Gift shop revenue including percentages of visitors making a purchase, average spend, average cost of good sold;
– Other income including volume and income per unit;
– Direct expense inputs including expense per operating day and per other income units;
– Other costs inputs including staff costs, marketing costs, and other expenses;
– Sales and corporate tax inputs including rate and payment periods;
– Dividend inputs including amount or percentage of retained earnings and frequency;
– Fixed Assets including additional amounts and useful life;
– Borrowings including addition amounts and interest rate;
– Share Capital additions;
– Discount rate inputs (for valuation calculation).
The model comprises of 9 tabs split into input (‘i_’), calculation (‘c_’), output (‘o_’) and system tabs. The tabs to be populated by the user are the input tabs (‘i_Setup’, ‘i_Actuals’ and ‘i_Assumptions’). The calculation tab uses the user-defined inputs to calculate and produce the projection outputs which are presented in ‘o_Fin Stats’, ‘o_Dashboard’, and ‘o_DCF’.
Other key features of this model include the following:
– The model follows good practice financial modeling guidelines and includes instructions, line item explanations, checks, and input validations;
– The model contains a flexible timeline that allows for a mix of Actual and Forecast periods across a 5-year period. This allows projections to be easily rolled forward;
– Timeline is split on a monthly basis and summarised on an annual basis;
– The model allows the user to model 3 revenue sources (ticket sales, gift shop, and other income) each with their own unique combinations of direct expenses;
– The model is not password protected;
– The model allows for the following number of underlying categories for each line item (these can be easily expanded if required):
o Ticket categories – 5 categories;
o Other income –5 categories;
o Direct expenses – 10 categories (5 ticket revenue, 5 other income);
o Staff costs – 10 categories;
o Marketing costs – 5 categories;
o Other expenses – 15 categories;
o Fixed assets – 5 categories;
o Borrowings – 3 facilities
– Apart from projecting revenue and costs the tool includes the possibility to model gift shop inventories, payables, fixed assets, borrowings, dividends, and corporate tax;
– Business Name, currency, starting projection period, revenue, and cost categories are fully customizable;
– The model included an integrated discounted cash flow valuation using the projected cash flow outputs;
– The model includes instructions, line item explanations, checks, and input validations to help ensure input fields are populated accurately;