PURPOSE OF TOOL
Highly versatile and user-friendly Excel model for the preparation of a 5-year rolling 3 statement (Income Statement, Balance Sheet and Cash flow Statement) financial projection with a monthly timeline for a startup or existing professional services business generating revenue by assisting clients with various legal, finance, administrative and other professional services.
The model allows the user to model both one-off and recurring professional services offered. It allows users to model up to 15 categories of one-off services and up to 8 categories of recurring services (can be extended). The model includes variable costs for each product category as well as staff costs, marketing costs, and other administrative costs to run the business.
The model follows good practice financial modeling principles and includes instructions, line item explanations, checks, and input validations, and incorporates a discounted cash flow valuation calculation using the projected cash flows.
The key outputs include:
– Projected full financial statements (Income Statement, Balance Sheet, and Cash flow Statement) presented on a monthly basis across up to 5 years and summarised on an annual basis.
– Dashboard with:
o Summarised projected Income Statement and Balance Sheet;
o Compounded Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) for each summarised income statement and balance sheet line item;
o List of key ratios including average revenue growth, average profit margins, average return on assets and equity, and average Debt to Equity ratio;
o Bar charts summarising income statement and balance sheet projections;
o Revenue by service category and volume of services offered over time presented in a table, pie-chart, and bar-chart format
– Discounted cash flow valuation using the projected cash flow output.
Inputs are split into income statement and balance sheet Inputs. Most inputs include user-friendly line item explanations and input validations to help users understand what the input is for and populate correctly.
– Name of business;
– First projection year and month;
– Naming for one-off and recurring service categories, marketing costs, staff costs, admin costs, fixed assets, and borrowings;
– Sales tax applicability for products, variable costs, and other expenses and fixed assets.
– Opening balance sheet (for existing businesses);
– Income Statement actuals (for trend analysis);
– One-off service revenue inputs including average hours per service, fee per hour, additional rechargeable costs, volume of engagements/services, and average credit terms offered;
– Recurring service revenue inputs including service price per month, client additions, cancellation rates per month, and average credit terms offered;
– Staff cost inputs including staff numbers, average salary per full-time position, average employer’s social security percentage of salary, average annual bonus, and bonus payment months.
– Variable cost inputs including variable cost per service/engagement;
– Other costs inputs including marketing costs and admin costs;
– Sales and corporate tax inputs including rate and payment periods;
– Dividend inputs including amount (percentage of retained earnings) and frequency;
– Fixed assets including additional amounts and useful life;
– Borrowings including addition amounts and interest rate;
– Share capital additions;
– Discount rate inputs (for valuation calculation).
The model comprises of 9 tabs split into input (‘i_’), calculation (‘c_’), output (‘o_’) and system tabs. The tabs to be populated by the user are the input tabs (‘i_Setup’, ‘i_Actuals’, and ‘i_Assumptions’). The calculation tab uses the user-defined inputs to calculate and produce the projections/outputs which are presented in ‘o_Fin Stats’, ‘o_Charts’, and ‘o_DCF’.
System tabs include:
– A ‘Front Sheet’ containing a disclaimer, instructions, and contents;
– A checks dashboard containing a summary of checks by tab.
Other key features of this model include the following:
– The model follows good practice financial modeling guidelines and includes instructions, line item explanations, checks, and input validations;
– The model contains a flexible timeline that allows for a mix of actual and forecast periods across a 5-year period. This allows projections to be easily rolled forward as forecast periods become actual periods;
– Timeline is split on a monthly basis and summarised on an annual basis;
– The model allows the user to model up to 23 separate professional service categories with their own unique variable cost setup;
– The model is not password protected and can be modified as required following download;
– The model is reviewed using specialized model audit software to help reduce the risk of formula inconsistencies;
– The model allows for the following number of underlying categories for each line item (these can be easily expanded if required):
o Professional Services – 15 one-off service categories and 8 recurring service categories;
o Other variable costs – 23 categories (1 for each service category);
o Staff costs – 8 categories;
o Marketing costs – 5 categories;
o Admin expenses – 15 categories;
o Fixed assets – 5 categories;
o Borrowings – 3 facilities
– Apart from projecting revenue and costs, the tool includes the possibility to model receivables and payables, fixed assets, borrowings, dividends, and corporate tax;
– Business name, currency, starting projection period are fully customizable;
– Revenue, cost, and fixed asset descriptions are fully customizable;
– The model included an integrated discounted cash flow valuation using the projected cash flow outputs;
– The model includes instructions, line item explanations, checks, and input validations to help ensure input fields are populated accurately;
– The model includes a checks dashboard that summarises all the checks included in the various tabs making it easier to identify any errors.
If you require any bespoke modifications to the tool, we are more than happy to assist with this. Please contact us at [email protected]
We are a small team of financial modeling professionals with experience working in big 4 business modeling teams and strong experience supporting businesses with their financial planning and decision support needs. Our aim is to provide robust and easy-to-use tools that follow good practice financial modelling guidelines and assist individuals and businesses with common financial planning and analysis processes.
We are keen to make sure our customers are satisfied with the tools/models they purchase and will be more than happy to assist with any questions or support required following or in advance of purchase.
We are also always keen to receive feedback so please do let us know what you think of our models by sending us a message or submitting a review.