Bу dеfіnіtіоn, a buѕіnеѕѕ рlаn іѕ an fоrmаl ѕtаtеmеnt оf a ѕеt оf gоаlѕ, reasons they are attainable and plans how to achieve them among others (Source: Wikipedia). The objective of writing a business plan is to best prepare for achieving financial success. Mаnу tіmеѕ a business plan is thоught of as ѕоmеthіng thаt іѕ рrоduсеd ѕресіаllу to hеlр entrepreneurs rаіѕе саріtаl. One of the main decisions a business owner will have to address in his business plan is the type of business plan model he or she will adopt. Selecting a business model defines the way how you plan to generate revenues and fundamentally influences the relationship between the company and its customers.
This is an extremely important aspect because this will become the main framework for the business to operate in and achieving financial success or failure.
We have listed here several examples when choosing such business plan models:
- The production business model. It is centuries old and the basis for the Industrial Revolution among much of our economic success. Historically, raw materials are bought, processed and sold as manufactured products at a mark-up to their costs. Whether you are producing software or silverware, this model presupposes that you will be making a product. Today this can be a physical as well as a digital product. Production based business models benefit from economies of scale when higher volumes are sold, provided the manufacturing process can be standardized.
- The retail model. This business model goes hand-in-hand with the production model, as the business purchases goods from a manufacturer, to resell them to an end-consumer. This model works just as well for the local ice cream vendor as it does for Amazon.com. Today not only physical goods are sold but also many digital goods, books, videos, audio, services, you name it. The main problem the retailer business model solves is distribution and service, as he can focus on serving a local market with the selected products and even add his own services on top. The retail business model even becomes more relevant today with the rise of eCommerce, as online retailing has boomed in the last decade as more consumers look to the Internet as a viable commercial option for goods.
- The service model has been around for as long as there have been people with needs, wants, and desires. Research, accounting, audit and consulting services are typical examples but also many online services such as VoIP or Internet-based telephone calls and Search Engine Optimization both fall under the service business model. Typical here is that in order to provide the service, one needs to hire more employees. Therefore a service based business model is more difficult to scale.
- Affiliate marketing business models generate sales for a third-party producer of goods or services. The affiliate is an independent contractor and receives a portion of the sale for marketing and lead generation. The subcontractor may not close the sale but lead the prospect through the sales funnel. The marketers receive pay at the completion of the sale or when a specific agreed-upon the completion of an agreed upon result. Affiliates do not create a product or perform service outside of the marketing, so they are free to focus exclusively on lead generation. However, normally they are fully dependent on the third-party and the quality of those products.
- Franchise business plan models aim to create a successful franchise brand. A typical example is a restaurant chain where not all restaurants are owned by the brand owner. He will define the business concept, do brand marketing and establish the standards the brand should adhere to. Given the business, the concept is proven and works, he can now give franchises to third-party to establish businesses under his brand.
- Subscription business model is popular on and off the web. Information products and services often use this system to sell subscriptions instead of a one-time product. Magazines represent an example of the subscription model; every month your favorite edition comes to you in the mail and now online. The advantage of this business model is that recurring revenues can be generated.
These are just some examples of interesting business plan models to think about.
You can also have a look at the various ready-made financial plan templates which can help to figure out the best business model for your business. For Financial Plаn Templateѕ, vіѕіt еFіnаnсіаlMоdеlѕ tо gеt a tеmрlаtе thаt саn hеlр уоu buіld your buѕіnеѕѕ.
A great tool to model out any recurring revenue service that acquires users through a website or app.
Plan out all the cash flows that are relevant to opening and running a food truck for 10 years.
The Shrimp Farm Financial Model assists shrimp farm operators to derive a budget and financial forecast of the farm. The…
This bundle of financial model templates provides you a package of relevant SaaS, eCommerce and Online Marketing financial model templates
A simple and straight forward way to project out growth and churn within a SaaS environment.
This Financial Model Template in Excel provides an easy way to forecast the financial performance for a Mobile App or…
The SaaS Financial Model provides a simple way to derive the financial forecast for a Software as a Service (SaaS)…