PURPOSE OF MODEL
User-friendly Excel model intended for the preparation of a 3 statement (Income Statement, Balance Sheet and Cash flow Statement) 5-year financial projection for a generic start-up business with multiple establishments.
The model allows the user to model up to 10 revenue streams across 3 establishment and 2 variable costs categories for each revenue stream as well as marketing costs, staff costs, other operating costs, fixed assets and borrowings.
The model follows best practice financial modelling principles and includes instructions, line item explanations, checks and input validations
The model is generic and not industry-specific. The key outputs include:
– Projected income statement, balance sheet and cash flow extracts for each establishment;
– Projected full financial statements (Income Statement, Balance Sheet and Cash flow Statement) on a total company basis presented both on a monthly basis across 5 years and summarised on an annual basis;
– Dashboard with:
o Summarised projected Income Statement and Balance Sheet;
o Compounded Annual Growth rate (CAGR) for each summarised income statement and Balance Sheet line item;
o List of key metrics including Average revenue growth, Average profit margins, Average return on assets and equity and Average Debt to Equity ratio;
o Bar charts summarising income statement and Balance Sheet projections;
o Gross Profit margin by revenue stream in table and bar-chart format;
o Summarised projected income statement, ratios and charts by establishment.
Inputs are split into Income Statement and Balance Sheet Inputs. All inputs include user-friendly line item explanations and input validations to help users understand what the input is for and populate correctly.
Income Statement inputs include:
– Revenue inputs including sales volume, sales prices and average credit terms offered by establishment;
– Variable cost inputs including variable cost per unit and average credit terms received by establishment;
– Other Costs including staff costs, marketing costs and fixed costs by establishment;
– Sales and Corporate tax inputs including rate and payment periods;
– Dividend inputs including amount or percentage of retained earnings and frequency;
Balance Sheet inputs include:
– Fixed Assets including addition amounts and useful life
– Borrowings including addition amounts and interest rate
– Share Capital including initial and subsequent equity investments
The model contains, 13 tabs split into input (‘i_’), calculation (‘c_’), output (‘o_’) and system tabs. The tabs to be populated by the user are the input tabs (‘i_Setup’, ‘i_E1/E2/E3_Assump’ and ‘i_TotalCo’). The calculation tab use the user-defined inputs to calculate and produce the projection outputs which are presented in ‘o_Fin Stats’ and ‘o_Dashboard’
System tabs include:
– A ‘Front Sheet’ containing a disclaimer, instructions and contents;
– A Checks dashboard containing a summary of checks by tab.
Other key features of this model include the following:
– The model follows best practice financial modelling guidelines and includes instructions, line item explanations, checks and input validations;
– The model allows for a 5-year projection on a monthly basis and summarised on an annual basis;
– The model is not password protected and can be modified as required following download;
– The model is reviewed using specialised model audit software to help reduce risk of formula inconsistencies;
– The model allows for up to 3 separate establishments to be modelled with own income statement;
– The model allows for the following number of underlying categories for each line item (these can be expanded if required):
Revenue – 10 categories;
Variable costs – 2 per revenue category;
Staff costs – 5 categories;
Marketing costs – 5 categories;
Other expenses – 15 categories;
Fixed Assets – 3 categories;
Borrowings – 1 facility (total company basis);
– Costs are split into: variable, fixed, staff and marking costs for better driver-based forecasting;
– Apart from projecting revenue and costs the tool includes the possibility to model receivables and payables, fixed assets, borrowings, dividends, sales tax and corporate tax;
– Business Name, establishment names, currency, starting projection period are fully customisable;
– Revenue, Cost and Fixed Asset descriptions are fully customisable;
– The model includes the possibility to start mid-way through the first projection year;
– The model includes instructions, line item explanations, checks and input validations to help ensure input fields are populated accurately;
– The model includes a checks dashboard which summarises all the checks included in the various tabs making it easier to identify any errors.
If you require any be-spoke modifications to the tool, we are more than happy to assist with this. Please contact us on: [email protected]
We are a small team of financial modelling professionals with experience working in Big 4 Business Modelling teams and strong experience supporting businesses with their financial planning and decision support needs. Our aim is to provide robust and easy-to-use tools that follow best practice financial modelling guidelines and assist individuals and businesses with common financial planning and analysis processes.
We are keen to make sure our customers are fully satisfied with the tools / models they purchase and will be more than happy to assist with any questions or support required following or in advance of purchase.
We are also always keen to receive feedback so please do let us know what you think of our products/offering by sending us a message or submitting a review.